Friday, August 22, 2014

Bible CollegeEd For DevWorld Leaders Who Cannot Afford Bible College

The Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (PAOC) has 29 schools in its GlobalEd orbit.  For those who can afford/attend a school, great. But what about those existing or future leaders who cannot? I think of the practicing pastor I met in DR Congo; he didn't even have a proper Bible -- just a partial Jehovah's Witness Bible. We are talking poor, disenfranchised, disconnected.

At the same time, internet and smart phones, if not laptops, are becoming ubiquitous.

So, my dilemma is this. What internet resources would I put into this man's hands that would enable him to get a tuition-free Bible College education (at least the content), without leaving his home, family, or ministry context. These guys are out there. Do we hear their cry?

My approach to the internet is this: "whatever I set out to do, someone else has already done, probably better". So, rather than start from scratch, I would look for existing sources.

Theopedia is not ideal, but it's a start. Perhaps someone could work his/her way through Theopedia and suggest a learning path.

I believe the biggest need in teaching these folks is not in teaching them what is true, but in protecting them against what is false. They are susceptible to every heresy and wind of doctrine that is out there -- one guy in Africa claims he is Jesus Christ, and his wife is the Holy Spirit! So, I would frame the need as building these students up in the truth that fortifies against heresy. A heresy-based approach to Bible training. Hmm. Interesting - "teach the heresies!".

Because of this, I think I would start with Theopedia's coverage of the Trinity.

Alternatively, a resource-rich organization like the PAOC could divvy up the project into 30 pieces  and each scholar/school develop a simple curriculum in simple language for each of the 30 subjects. This could even become suggested pre-reading for students planning to attend a Bible college.

Can we hear the cry of the poor?

No comments:

Post a Comment